Redevelopment Construction Technician
POSITION SUMMARY: Essex Property Trust, Inc. is a fully integrated real estate investment trust (REIT) that acquires, develops, redevelops and manages multifamily properties in selected West Coast communities.
We are seeking an experienced renovation professional to be a member of an in-house renovation team in the remodeling of apartment interiors. The role will participate as part of a team in primarily kitchen and bath renovation efforts on multiple properties and have an active role in construction activities, procuring material, scheduling with the property/operations, reporting status, and communicating with supervisors.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES: - Participate as a member of an on-site construction team actively involved in day to day interior renovation activities.
- Fundamental knowledge in most areas of residential construction including but not limited to: - On-site installation of cabinets, doors, door hardware and cabinet re-face.
- Installation and repair of laminate countertops. (Tile and stone experience preferable) - Plumbing fixture installation of sinks, faucets, disposals, angle stop valves, toilets and bathtubs.
- Electrical fixture installation of light fixtures, ceiling fans, outlets, GFCI and light switches - Ability to prep and paint using paint sprayer, rollers, paint brush and masker.
- Knowledge of hanging drywall, small patch repairs, texture, mud and tape.
- Finish carpentry installation of door casings, bi-fold doors, by-pass doors, passage doors, and baseboards.
- Interact with material vendors and any sub-contractors to assure timely renovation execution and quality of work. Monitor work to assure all work follows plan, contract, scope of work, etc.
- Participate in material and supply management for renovation and any activities related to the team which can include work site and vehicle management.
- Participate in project meetings with construction manager and any other relevant parties at frequent intervals to discuss problems, progress, and coordination of work.
- Provide daily and weekly status of work and maintain high level of communication to Construction Manager and other corporate liaisons via phone, email and memo/ letter.
- Knowledge of equipment operating policies and procedures to ensure safety. Conduct monthly equipment checks to ensure equipment is functioning properly.
- Compliance with company standards as defined in the Policies and Procedure Manual and applicable laws, e.g. Fair Housing, Landlord Tenant, OSHA, and EEOC.
- The candidate must be able to work independently and have great interpersonal and communication skills; possess strong project scheduling skills; familiar with construction; and some working knowledge with MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook (use iPhone) - High school diploma or equivalent.
- 2 years’ experience working in interior residential construction or related field.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, knowledge of business correspondence.
- Be able to read a tape measure, read blue prints, understand basic math, and understand fractions and decimals. - Possess good time management skills. For example; be able to handle a wide variety of tasks and demands in a timely and safe manner.
- Must possess good organizational skills by keeping daily work schedules current to make sure projects are completed on time and under allotted budget.
- Maintain a clean and professional appearance, practice safe work procedures and maintain a clean working environment at all times.
-Basic computer skills, including working knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to travel to multiple sites required.
- Job requires mobility (i.e. climbing stairs, lifting, bending down, kneeling, climbing/standing on ladders) to perform construction related activities
- Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate small-motorized equipment (i.e., repetitive hand/wrist, gripping and elbow motion) - Must have normal range of hearing, vision, color discrimination and depth perception for proper operation of machines and equipment
- Job requires the use of hand and power tools as it relates to the interior renovation of apartment units. Essex offers a comprehensive benefits package that reflects how much we value our associates and their families:For regular full-time associates regularly scheduled to work at least thirty (30) hours per week:
• Medical, Dental, Pre-tax flex plan, Basic life insurance, Supplemental life, Short- and long-term disability, Accidental death insurance plans.For part-time and full-time associates:
• Employer-matching 401(k) plan that offers financial planning and independent brokerage services.
• Wellness Program, 24-hour Employee Assistance, Service awards and Paid time-off.