By Ashli Reitz, Graphic Design Director
Creating these planters is easy and fast. Add a few candles and succulents, and you'll have a beautiful, fresh indoor display for the dull winter months.
- Glass lantern candle holders (mine were from Cost Plus World Market)
- Latex or acrylic paint (I used white, but you can have all sorts of fun with color)
- Paint brush
- Painter's tape
- Succulent plants
- Potting gravel
- LED votive candles (also from Cost Plus World Market)
- Use the painter's tape to mark off where you would like the paint to end on the lantern – I did different heights on my lanterns.
- Paint the lanterns and leave on newspaper to dry for at least two hours.
- Once dry, remove the painter's tape and fill the bottom of the lanterns with the about 1 inch of potting gravel.
- Add the succulent plants with their soil and a little water. These planters are temporary for the winter months since there is no drainage hole, but with succulents you don't need to water too much.
- Add to candles to the other lanterns. Arrange on a mantel or shelf and enjoy!